Monday, May 17, 2010

The first clicks

The first learning ‘clicks’ are starting to appear! I was reading a blog this weekend which referred to the Carbolic Smoke Ball Company and I was actually able to remember the outlines of the case. Needless to say I was thrilled, surprised and very happy all at the same time. I believe it will happen more and more as I go forward and progress in my studies. Also I am pleased about the degree to which the three courses which I am studying for (criminal, common and public law) all seem to overlap. To be sure, criminal law less so than the other two but still everything seems to be blending together well.

In other news, I am reading a book called Law-Making Process by Michael Zander right now. I’ve managed to get through the first two chapters so far. I am surprised about one item - it is billed as an introductory law text for students. While it is definitely educational and moves through the law making process logically and in detail, it does not seem to present material in a manner that supports the learning. There is a structure to each chapter yet the topics which are covered are rarely touched on by the author. Instead they are developed via first hand extracts from others. This does present key insights for one to learn but it lacks a smooth and easy presentation. Certainly good material however and I look forward to starting chapter 3 tonight…

No comments:

Post a Comment